Thursday, May 17, 2012

My MM540 Restoration complete

A small request to all: Enjoy nature, enjoy your travel but please don’t spoil MOTHER NATURE. Refill bottles, don’t throw plastic in water bodies or roads. Dispose your garbage at proper place. Cheers!

A little off topic, not related to my travels but just for my own memories I am documenting this one.

I always wanted to have a jeep, back since I was a kid. And finally in the month of April I was randomly checking some jeep pics and came across and internet listing of mm540.
I was tempted, called Dilip Bhai(my friend in Hyderabad) and shared this idea of buying a jeep with him. Then checked my account balance and called the seller. A few negotiations, a small test ride and I got that mm540.
It was an old 1990 model - very hard, lazy like an arrogant bull. I had to tame it and to tame it I had to start rebuilding it.
It took me almost 35-40 days, paper work is still pending, to rebuild it.

I had to check lot of internet links for help, till one stage I was reading good info from teambhp.com but later when I wanted to ask for more I was declined a membership by teambhp moderators. I don't know on what grounds, but I was even more charged to do all the work, necessary findings by myself.

In rebuilding Cobra (that's what I name my jeep as), many people helped me.
Special thanks to my dad, noopur & rahul for some fundings :) and Nasser (the seller) who guided me on a lot of things.

So when I drove the jeep for the first time, I immediately realised that first thing to be taken care of is mechanics and later I can work on looks.

So this is all what I did to Cobra:

Stage 1 : Brake liners, clutch plates, pressure plates, bearings, front frame change, labor & miscellaneous things - Rs 11000

Stage 2: Tinkering, denting, body lining, painting(green) - Rs 15000

Stage 3: Front seat lining, all seat covers(rexine), some mats, new rear seat and replacing the old seats with cushions -  Rs 8000

Stage 4 : Old tyres from Afzal Gunj market : 265/70/R16 - 3 michelline tyres and 1 falken tyres in reasonable condition. - 1500 each = 6000  + 200 fitting +  300 (discs) + 4000(tubes + balancing)= 10500 total. My rim size was stock mm540 - 6.00 - 16" with 4.5 inch thick. A little problem in negotiating sharp curves as the steering is very hard now and I had to go with 1 disc each just at the intersection of axle and tyres to give a little more space to tyres.
The new tyres were like 7000-8000 each, I didn't wanted to invest too much on tyres since at first I wanted to check mechanicals and then do any significant investment on tyres.

Till this point jeep was running but without top.

"Top & tyres will give your jeep a breather", quoted Nasser and I couldn't agree more with this statement.

I got the top work done at Jameel's workshop in Bahadurpura. He gave me 3 options:

1) Half top - 2500
2) Simple top - 5000
3) Half top + convertible top on rear side - 8500

I chose the 3rd one and got the top work done.

Stage 5: Top work + Bars fitted (with leather covering to make 2.5inch dia bar look thicker like 4 inch)
Cost - 8500+ 2000 = 10,500

So in all 5 stages which lasted for 45 days I spent around - 52K


My raw jeep cost = 78000 + paper work(still pending) 1500 + 52000 = 1,35,500

I have to get a stand by tyre, tube,a jack, spanners, some sticker work.

Will post the pics soon :)

10 comments:

  1. I read your blog and I really liked it. I have to say it is very well written. I have a blog on fun food and travel and would love to have you as a guest blogger for the blog. It would also attract new readers towards your blog. In exchange, I can write a guest blog for you. So, contact me ashwin@dtfares.com if you want to guest blog.

    Ashwin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello friend,
    (My name is also Punit),
    I want some helpful information,

    Just recently I discovered that since long I'm a fan of jeeps.

    I wanted to know that-

    1) from where we can buy MM550 & in what condition. Whether it is in petrol/ diesel, power steering, running condition or not..?
    2) is it possible to put a hardtop on it and 2 front facing seats in the back row & put an Air Conditioner also in the jeep?
    3) I live in Kanpur U.P., so will there be any problems in servicing..?
    4) What is the turning radius of MM 550?
    5) How much expense overall (rough idea).?

    I was considering Thar, but I feel that since I will use jeep only & only for off roading personal tours (as I have Indigo eCS lx also), it will be good for me to save money on it.

    Thank you dear...
    Punit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Punit,

    1) You can buy from either army disposal or check in your state if any MM550 is up for sale. If you plan to buy from outside state, NOC is must to register it in your state. It is Diesel. Should be running condition if you take from a user or dealer. If from army disposal, you need to work on it.

    2) It is absolutely possible- hardtop, ac, back seats as front facing.

    3) I think for this you need to check with someone else in your city. There should be some specialized jeep mechanics, you have to ask local guys and search the area.

    4) No idea.

    5) You will get a nice MM550 (4wd) between 2.25 to 3.0 lakhs depending on city where you live, jeep condition.

    Cheers and all the best for your search.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my,
      I am so sorry for having not been able to see & thank you earlier. I was all hooked & booked these couple of months. Thank you for a prompt and to the point reply. For no. 5) the approx cost you mentioned is of on the road ..?

      Thanks again.

      Delete
    2. Yes on the road for a second hand, old MM550 4WD(in new like condition), If you want I have an amazing one in sight in Hyderabad @3 lakhs. It is just something anyone can fall in love with. It's of a friend who is selling it in perfect condition with absolutely no single penny expense apart from transfering to Kanpur (approx 15K).

      Delete
  4. Hmm.. OK. Good,
    but
    now over these months, I, somehow,, have become more interested in getting an enfield. Maybe a new C5 or a TBTS 500.
    I am 40+ & want to fulfill my childhood dream of owning a Bullet, which I was never allowed to,, due to various reasons.
    I also want to go to Laddakh & more importantly Zanskar on it. And I don' know how this feat will be achieved. But still I have plans for it & am doing my homework.
    You've been there to Laddakh. Can you please tell if you have seen or known anyone over 40 who has been to Laddakh? Is it possible..?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    I am part of a club - Wanderers (bulleteers of Hyderabad) and we have many riders in age group of 35-50. Our club is proud of Retd. Col Ray (60+) still going to places. It is possible for you to ride a bullet to Ladakh, if you are physically fit(not on medications or asthmatic) and mentally strong to just leave all inhibitions back here and Ride. But just don't go to Ladakh directly, get a bullet and start venturing out to nearby places, highways and let your family also get comfortable with your passion.. learn some basic bullet mechanics.. see if you are confident and slowly stretch yourself. If you ride for 6-7 hours a day, still you can enjoy and cover Ladakh in 15-18 days...Zanskar is in my to do list for next year :)
    Mainitaing a jeep takes a lot of time, effort and some money as well :( But maintaining a bullet is easy in comparison..
    C500 is a charming bike, I love it.
    You can check this:
    http://theroadraider.blogspot.com/2012/05/tips-for-ladakh-ride-must-carry-clothes.html
    Stay in touch and you can discuss freely about Ladakh or riding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Puneet,

    Where did you get your jeep restored.We are looking for someone good to furbish an MM 550 in Bangalore.Please suggest

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Deepthi,
    I got it done in Hyderabad - Bahadurpura. Sorry but don't know about Bangalore.
    Anyways, wish you luck and hope things go smooth for your works on MM550, it is an awesome 4WD with good low end torque.. hard to find in most of other SUVs these days...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi puneet
    I also from hyd ,I want to restore my mm540,so can I get u r no

    ReplyDelete