Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Gent & Bruges - Beautiful Belgium Memories


Before I began with my experience with beautiful cities – Gent, Bruges and Ostende in Belgium, I think it is important to let fellow budget travelers know about this website – carpooling.co.uk . I used this site to get good carpool to travel from one city to other in Europe and find it safe, quick and cheap. As an Indian, I had a natural instinct of converting Euros in Indian currency, and cost of carpool was cheaper than what I would spend in India on petrol driven car.

After reaching Gent in Belgium from Dusseldorf in Germany on a pooled car, first thing I notice were a huge no. of bicycles, some parked and some being pedaled. I thought about a while if I should hire one, but then I was not comfortable in keeping anything with me apart from a small back pack and my camera. So I chose to walk around in the city and very soon realized that Gent has a plenty to offer to those who chose their feet as mode of transport. I knew nothing about Gent or Belgium till then, apart from my local CS host in Gent. I met her at a supermarket and we purchased some food and after lunch I set out for a city walk tour.
Gent was more beautiful, friendly and lively than I could ever imagine. As I walked past a few cathedrals, canals and other old structured buildings, I reached Kouter – a grand square surrounded by old monuments and a canal passing through heart of it. The square is known as meeting point of people of the city. A little ahead and I could site 3 towers of St. Nicholas Church, which was an amazing site to watch in night. The lights gave all the monuments a special look. And on the other side of square was Belfort standing tall as a 14th century castle.

I walked inside city’s famous and oldest cathedral – St Bavo’s and witnessed the grandness and the effort with which it must have been build.

I walked across a few other monuments and structures and captured the pics, but can’t remember all the names.  I learnt about canal route for exporting wheat and woolen clothes out of Gent on the trade ships.
By this time I was hungry again so I decided to try a few Belgian chocolates and then I had 3 local Belgian beers. All that I had was good enough for me to keep me walking again.

On my way back I casually reached the red light district of Gent, where semi naked women were trying to lure people from the show windows. I felt a little sad at that moment seeing the beautiful ladies behind the show windows in a set up made to satisfy lust of a man. But then, this made me go deeper into this subject and I will mention that in another blog here :
Prostitution – An insight into Indian and European brothels.

From there I walked to home of my CS host and we bought some Indian ready to cook food from a nearby shop that had a sikh owner. The place of my CS host was nice and she offered me a separate room on a separate floor and told me about her son who until a few years back used to stay in that room.

Some pics from Gent, if you are downloading any pic drop me a note, I will be happy to know people are liking the pics :




















City square and beautiful canal
My trip to Gent was complete and before I could sleep I dropped an email to my wife back in India.


After having breakfast the next morning, I found myself in Oostende – a Belgian city located in Flemish province of West Flanders. Oostende was a small city standing next to North Sea which was set up as a town in 12th century when fishing used to be a major source of income for the local inhabitants. Due to a harbor, it was always attacked and controlled. It was controlled by the Dutch, Austrian and was affected by British intervention in their trade with Africa as well. It was a cold day and I could see pets enjoying their day out on Sunday at the beach. I couldn’t stay long at the beach due to very cool breeze so I quickly sneaked inside a cozy bar to have some scotch. After visiting a few touristic spots I was out again in the train, this time to Bruges.

Bruges - often referred as 'Venice of North' is another canal based city with architecture ranging back from medieval period. The city was fortified to save from sea pirates. It is very interesting to know that earlier this city was connected to sea through canals which was closed naturally for a century and later a storm opened all canal links to sea. I reached here from Ostande and without wasting a moment was up on foot towards city center. One thing that mesmerized me most was the way medieval architecture is still intact and the way city is open to tourists. Being a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the government expects a lot of tourists and once I was there I didn't feel I am in new Europe, but in a very clean, medieval yet modern part of architecturally rich Europe.
I was suggested by someone I befriended in train to take a map and walk by foot, I did the same. A map that I took from tourist office at station helped me in moving between different monuments, forts and cathedrals. If you are visiting Bruges and have lot of questions, don't think about any and just be there and get lost in the streets of Bruges. I am sure you will agree with me that you are in a different era as long as you don't talk to anyone :)
After visiting a few monuments, I tried many Belgian beers and got high after having 8 or 10 different brand beers, beer was my energy drink that day to walk. I really loved the beers and would request beer makers of Belgium to launch some of their beers in India. All brands were new to me so no loyalty, but all were so good.



No comments:

Post a Comment