Thursday, June 23, 2011

DAY 10, 11, 12, 13: KINNAUR DISTRICT: SARAHAN, BASPA VALLEY, KALPA


DAY 10: MONDAY, 1st June’2009: Rampur – Jeori – Sarahan – Karcham - Sangla

After leaving Rampur I headed straight for Sarahan, took a right turn from Jeori and reached Sarahan in a short time. The road from Jeori to Sarahan offered beautiful vistas, full of greenery. 

































Just outside Sarahan temple is a small eatery joint, I had amazing momos, soup and noodles there. From Sarahan I took the road up to Karcham, a right from there and reached Sangla. I stayed there in hotel Ravi, just for 300Rs per night for a clean and spacious room.


DAY 11: TUESDAY, 2nd June’2009: Sangla – Rakcham – Chitkul and back to Sangla

A fresh morning in Sangla looked beautiful; Sangla falls in Kinnaur district of Himachal where 5 men in a family marry 1 girl. They say that this move binds the family, prevents land division and is followed since ancient era of Mahabharta. As this guy in Sangla was telling me about this, I kept wondering about the biological effects on the birth of a kid.

Next to Sangla was Rakcham, a beautiful village on the banks of river Baspa. I wanted to stay for a few days but there was shortage of food for visitors in the town, so the hotel guy advised me against staying there in Rakcham. I crossed the bridge and felt the solitude, there in the green pastures, on the bank of the river. It was very scenic and I just couldn’t describe it in words.






Moved to Chitkul in a while, Chitkul is the last village connected by a road on Indian side and one could see a mountain of China on left, Tibet in centre and Uttarakhand on right.

Chitkul village




Dangerous way!



On the way to Chitkul from Rakcham



“Where in Uttarakhand is it going to meet? Can a road be built to connect Chitkul with Uttarakhand?” I kept thinking about this and really wanted to find an answer. I had my lunch in Chitkul, options were little. Chitkul was very cold even at 3 in afternoon. After spending some more time there, I left for Sangla as my stuff was there, but I promised to come back to Chitkul in some winters, I am still to fulfill that promise.
Back in Sangla, I was informed by hotel owner that a family arrived from Delhi and they are in a group of 15 people in 2 Innovas and they are willing to take rooms for 800Rs per night. I was surprised; most of the Indian tourists are so typical and play a major role in inflating room prices. But then, not bad for a place which has very less tourists and for those who depend solely on tourism for their livelihood.


DAY 12: Sangla and around

It was another leisurely day in Sangla, watched a movie and slept a lot. I came out of my room in the evening, kept walking and followed a trail leading to Kamru fort in Kamru village. It is on the path towards village Kuppa and then an uphill path towards Kamru fort. Met many kids there and had a discussion on their ambitions, school life and all. I tried to explain that I am not someone special but they kept inviting me to their homes. Those local boys liked my DSG jacket and wanted to wear it once. I wasn’t carrying my camera as I was in search of something else which I later found from the liquor shop at Sangla – A chilled beer to be enjoyed in the cold evening.





























Day13: 4th June’2009: Sangla – Recong Peo – Kalpa

I had heard a lot about Kalpa from Yadav, so I decided to witness the sunset by myself at Kalpa and on 12th day of my ride I was in Kalpa. The view of Kinner Kailash from Kalpa was a feast for any mountain lover. A mesmerizing, spot less beauty and Kalpa, another village of Kinnaur district sits in lap of Kinner Kailash.





 The rooms were costly at Kalpa and there were lot of Bengalis everywhere, and while I was undecided about my stay an old retired army guy approached me – “Beta room chahiye? Sasta wala? Humara guest room hai, reh jao usme” I got exactly what I was looking for. He charged 150 Rs from me for that small but tidy room in the house of the owner of hotel Monal Residency.

 I walked in the city, and witnessed the evening prayers at the monastery there. The sound of the prayer was spell bounding, it echoed from Kinner Kailash and I forgot about the sunset for which I stayed there. There is a cyber café in Kalpa, I checked my emails and was happy to see my PF credited in my bank account. A clear sign of a party, I bought myself some whiskey and sat in a restaurant. A Bengali teacher joined me there but he was frustrated from his life, I had a good time counseling and consoling a person 10 years elder to me.





 From Kalpa, next destination was Spiti!

Previous days' story              Next days' story

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! Awesome article dude! Thanks, Numerous tips!

    my website - 부산달리기

    ReplyDelete