Thursday, June 23, 2011

DAY1, DAY2, DAY3: PARVATI VALLEY


Day 1: 23rd May’2009: Chandigarh – Kasol
My first destination was Kasol, I was misinformed there by a local that Kunzum pass would get open by 1st June and Rohtang is already open, so I thought of spending a week in Kasol and Old Manali and then cross Kunzum and move towards Kaza. To my dismay, I later found Kunzum closed and eventually had to alter my route.
I was on the highway and hit Ropar road in no time. Early hours of morning looked beautiful, I was dreaming about different places and was excited to reach my destination. On the way, I stopped after Bilaspur to have tea and biscuits. Then again I continued almost non-stop till Pandoh dam, where I had my breakfast. I gave lift to a Russian guy who was in India from last 2 months and didn’t had much money. He told me how he survived on hitchhiking, staying in sikh temples and eating free food outside temples. Well, different breed of people, with language barriers but without any fear, he was surviving in India. Reminded me of an old friend Puneet Sahani, who never hesitates to sleep under the stars when he is on the road.

11:45, read the clock. I took a right from Bhunter and reached KAsol at 12:30pm. An old lady approached me at Kasol bridge and told me to take a room in her guest house known as Lucky guest house which was on KAsol-Manikaran road. It was good and cheap and had amazing views of river, pine trees and mountains so I settled there. Took a bath as it was sunny outside and slept. 

In the evening, I woke up to find myself in the company of 2 guys from Turkey, 1 from Japan, 1 from South Korea and 1 from Israel. Well without an Indian, no group is complete, so I joined them for a tea in the evening just outside my guest house.

Then I had my dinner, sat at the river in night and came back to my room after chatting with the family running the guest house.








DAY 2: SUNDAY – 24TH MAY’2009: MALANA AND CHALAL

I didn’t slept well and kept thinking about Malana all the night. Next morning, I decided to go to Malana. At 5:30 a.m. when most of the outsiders in Kasol must be sleeping, I reached Dunkhra. It is between Jari and Kasol. 20kms from the cut at Dunkhra, right if coming from Kasol side, and Malana village was visible.
I imagined it as some kind of creepy, hidden village with an active drug mafia. However, it looked like any other village in Himachal. I parked my bike outside police post and started walking towards Malana.
I was greeted by literally everyone I met on the way. In contrast to my imagination of unfriendly villagers there, I found everyone so happy and amiable. In around 1 hour, I reached village Malana on foot, and when I thought I would drink some water I heard an old voice – “Aap shayad yahan pehli baar ayein hain, kuch kaam tha? Kuch chahiye?” I immediately realized what is behind his offering, must be Malana cream.




Malana village was destroyed by a fire a few year back and houses were under construction. Then I met a group of old villagers who mistook me as a foreigner but then I met an amazing local guy – Khime. He took me to his friend Krishna’s place and they rolled a joint there. Khime was in his early twenties and Krishna had 10 kids. They told me about Malana 10 years back, when it was closed for visitors and now. I also got to know about certain things forbidden in their culture and that they never had to report to police and they had an internal body which made their own jurisdiction. I got to know about ‘Devtaas’ of village and that Harijans(lower caste Hindus) and Muslims were not supposed to touch the temple. They called themselves Rajputs and were not supposed to touch or make any contacts with Muslims or Harijans, who formed a majority of work force of peasants there.

Those who don’t know about Malana, let me tell you that Malana cream (a kind of hash) is world famous and is considered of superior quality then weed grown in other parts of world.

I left the village at 1 pm, somehow declining numerous requests from people to stay with them. I met a few other villagers on my way back to Kasol. At 3 pm, I was at my hotel room, sat with the foreigners. The Turkish guys showed us how they can play music from tin, water tank and many waste things there.
In the evening I crossed the river and sat on hot rocks caused by sulfur water, it was relaxing. I met a baba there who told me that he is absconding and is wanted by Delhi police. He must have considered me a harmless guy; I was striking well with the locals. Baba asked me to give him some English whiskey and I bartered a few things with him for whiskey. From there I walked to Chalal, a place famous for nothing but drugs and trance music.

Then again I came back to the river outside my guest house and with a blink of eye many hours passed sitting idle there. It was very beautiful, in the month of May the water was very cold and clean off course. I gazed at stars and then slept, this time a lot of sleep.

On the way to Malana
Malana village
 


In Malana







































Day3: Kasol – Tosh
After having my breakfast I walked towards Manikaran, which is 3kms away from Kasol. Manikaran has a sikh temple – Gurudwara and the best part about it was the way people cook their food there. Rice and Dal is being put in a pot, covered and immersed in hot water and rice is cooked with it. I got a local bus from Manikaran, buses stop there for 30 minutes, and I just boarded it not knowing about what is ahead. After a few minutes the bus stopped at it’s last stop – Barchaini. 
From Barchaini I just walked. After walking for some 30-35 minutes on a trail passing through weed fields and some forest area, I reached village Tosh. It was a beautiful village away from all the glares of city life, peaceful and pure.
I spent my day in Tosh and then came back to Manikaran and visited the gurudwara Manikaran Sahib, then walked slowly towards my hotel in Kasol.

It was dark by then and the sound of flowing river was amazing. I had no torch but bright stars showed me a blurred way to Kasol. Then I thought of exploring some nice trance café in Kasol and I found one with some amazing continental cuisines. I had a couple of beers there and walked back to my hotel. I thought I would leave Kasol the next morning.














Manikaran Sahib Gurudwara

Base camp in Kasol for Sar Pass trekking


Day 4: Local Kasol
I did nothing but just sat in the sun on 4th day, talked with lot of people; locals as well as visitors. 
Did a small round of nearby trails on bullet, and then went to a petrol pump to get my tank refueled. Later in the evening, Monu - a local shared his story with me, he was a drug addict but the most interesting guy I met in Kasol. 

42 comments:

  1. Hi Puneet,
    Like your travel story.Even I plan to go on solo on my thunderbird to Kasol.
    I have a few queries and it would be kind if you could help:
    1)Is it safe for the bike to leave it at the police post before one treks to the malana village?
    2)Can I go to Tosh village on my bike? I wish to go to Tosh village and stay there for like 10 days and finish my work on my laptop.
    3)Does Tosh village have electricity?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ravi.
      1) Yes it is safe in my opinion.
      2) You can go to Tosh, there is direct road up to Tosh village. But no internet connectivity as far as I remember.
      3) There is regular power cut in Tosh. You can stay in Kasol if you want to work for longer duration in hours.
      Cheers!

      Delete
    2. Hi Puneet, Can you please suggest how would it be to visit Kasol in mid October? Is it going to be very cold? or sunny warm days and chilly nights?

      Delete
    3. Hi, it is going to be mild cold sunny days and cold nights...

      Delete
  2. Thanks Puneet, would you recommend going in this season?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Puneet try for adsense account you can earn from your blog i hope it will help you plan for more trip enjoy!! i am here in Rishikesh also enjoy with foreigners like you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi puneet, nice to read about your experience, i also visited manikaran via kasol in dec 2013. we were a group of 8 friends. we stayed in kasol for around 3 hrs where we went to a Israeli restaurant where all the people mainly foreigners were smoking weed. But the town was very deserted at that time. While roaming on the streets a guy approached us and offered charas and told us about a man named "baba" who had some very good stuff but we didnt paid attention to that. I truly loved that place and want to visit there again and stay for a longer time and explore places beyond manikaran as well. which is the best time to go there because in dec the place was very deserted and gloomy? and are the guest houses are easily available? what else would you suggest to do ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, try going in month of April to June, you will like it more.
    As in June the Rohtang pass open and foreigners head towards Leh, try in month of April and May. Cheers and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Puneet,

    Nice Blog Man !! We are planning to go to Himachal and will start our Journey from Pathankot, Could you please suggest, How we can plan our trip for one week, We are 6 and more interested in simple tracking, Camp fire and adventure sports...
    Thanks for your reply,

    Regards,
    AP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abhishek, Himachal is big state. From Pathankot, first you decide where you want to go. Chamba-Dalhousie or you can go to Mcleodganj and do trek to Triund. There are a lot of tour operators there who can help u with this trip.
      Else if u want to go to Kasol, you can do some trek in nearby forests or up to Malana village. And do river rafting in Kullu.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Puneet, Guess u had a gr8 time der in Himachal.....Dude ur blog has inspired to me too, to go for such a experience,

    I'll plan shortly plan d trip nd will surely love to have guidance from u bro...Cheers !!
    And ya keep sharing (Y)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi puneet, Nice blog and the way you describe natural beauty of Himchal Pradesh ... its amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandeep, when you go there and come back you will fall short of words to describe the beauty.

      Delete
  10. A well-written article which actually inspired us to visit the place of Kasol. Keep up the good work and keep us informed about lovely places which are less traveled and are as beautiful as Kasol. We were in Kasol and trekked to Kheerganga last month and would love to share our experience with you all here http://www.indianjaunt.com/trek-to-kheerganga-and-a-trip-to-kasol-mini-israel/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Superb!! Your blog was amazing..I actualy got carried off,imagining the entire the trip..I hv been till Manikaran Sahib in '12 & only on the way back stopped at Kasol for tea/coffee..I wish i was aware about Tosh..wud have surely visited there..Nevertheless, Tosh is next in my wish list..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Hitasha, for sure you must plan Tosh and even Malana if possible. Have fun!

      Delete
  12. Hey puneet, great to read your blog. I am planning to go to Himanchal Pradesh from Delhi in November-end. I have a couple of friends who want to go with me. Can you advise me about the places i could visit, if we stay for around 4 days, in a budget of 4-5,000 (all inclusive).
    I wish to include Kasol or Malana or Tosh (one of them) and maybe Bir Billing. Is it doable?
    And could you also, give an estimate price for adventure sports/activities in Himanchal, for example paragliding in Bir Billing?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can we bring stuff from kasol ??
    is there any police checking on its way to dehradun??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Checking after paonta is for alcohol from Chandigarh, nahan..but stuff can be hided.

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is a lot to explore, I must tell you. A very informative and detailed article you have framed here. Really feeling proud to be Himachali. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear. I love your Himachal and is my second home. I will be there in kasol/kullu/manali in May'16 again.

      Delete
  16. Hi Puneet
    I am planning a solo trip to Kasol and Tosh for a month. Can you please tell me if there is mobile network available in in Tosh or if any specific mobile carrier is there ?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kasol is a small village on the lap of nature in Himachal Pradesh. places to visit in Kasol are hypnotic and can hold a tourist’s attention for long.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice and informative travel blog . Kasol is a very calm place to visit and a pleasant vacation. There are many attractions which makes Kasol tourism very famous.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey
    I'm visiting Kasol last week of May. Is the bus frequency from bhuntar to kasol fairly high? I plan to start from Delhi via bus. Also, please let me know some fairly cheap places to stay there with basic facilities.
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey is Feb a good time to visit kasol? Or will it b completely deserted wid no cafe nd nothing but snow all around?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey is Feb a good time to visit kasol? Or will it b completely deserted wid no cafe nd nothing but snow all around?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Puneet! I am willing to go Kasol in 2-3 days. Is it a good time? What about rooms there? and weather?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Puneet , Inspiring Blog man !!
    I am myself planning a solo trip there towards end of july on a bus.
    Just wanted to ask how is weather there during end of july, I have heard it rains a lot and there are chances of water-logging and landslide delays. I am ok with delays and not doing much trekking. its nothing deadly right ?? thanks for help in advance

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Puneet, lovely blog man. More than informative I must say truly inspiring. Although I'm planning to go to kasol and malana in the month of November. I just want to know if I can find some nice stuff for tripping and if I can find rave dance parties in the month of November. Please tell. Thanks again dude.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Puneet, lovely blog man. More than informative I must say truly inspiring. Although I'm planning to go to kasol and malana in the month of November. I just want to know if I can find some nice stuff for tripping and if I can find rave dance parties in the month of November. Please tell. Thanks again dude.

    ReplyDelete
  26. heya.. we are planning for kasol trip in june seeking for company. if anyone is intrested or planning can ping me up. and also seeking for suggestion from mr. puneet to make this trip memorable and a bit comfortable. also planning to go for blogs and vlog so red carpet for ur suggestions.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Puneet, very good article. It is helping me alot to get ready for my next trip during this lockdown. I also have started a site you can visit us here: Trip Tip Travel

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very nice… i really like your blog…
    your article is so convincing.
    Impressive!Thanks for the post..
    Interesting stuff to read. Keep it up.
    Also Check out
    3 Star Hotel of Mussoorie mall road
    Valley View Hotel in Mussoorie

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wonderful illustrated information. I thank you about that. No doubt it will be very useful for my future projects. Would like to see some other posts on the same subject!


    Visit my site :: 오피사이트
    (jk)

    ReplyDelete